By Monica Silveira Cyrino
- The first systematic survey of an important and renowned fresh movies approximately Roman antiquity.
- Shows how cinema explores, reinvents and celebrates the spectacle of historic Rome.
- Films mentioned extensive contain Stanley Kubrick’s Spartacus, Ridley Scott’s Gladiator and Terry Jones’s Monty Python’s lifetime of Brian.
- Contributes to discussions in regards to the ongoing relevance of the classical world.
- Shows how modern film-makers use recreations of historical heritage as commentaries on modern society.
- Structured in a fashion that makes it compatible for direction use, and lines concerns for dialogue and research, and connection with additional bibliographic resources.
- Written in an lively and interesting style.
Read or Download Big Screen Rome PDF
Similar film & video art books
Within the past due Sixties, Harlan Ellison introduced a weekly column for the l. a. unfastened Press, the place he uncompromisingly mentioned the consequences of tv on smooth society. He assaulted every little thing from tv sitcoms to deprave politicians, speak exhibits to army massacres. this day, greater than 4 a long time later, just about all of his feedback nonetheless holds precise.
From the mid-1930s to the past due Fifties, Mexican cinema turned the main profitable Latin American cinema and the major Spanish-language movie on the earth. Many Cine de Oro (Golden Age cinema) motion pictures adhered to the dominant Hollywood version, yet a small but bold filmmaking faction rejected Hollywood’s paradigm outright.
Few motion pictures of any style have had the effect and influence of The Blair Witch undertaking (1999). Its arrival was once a horror cinema palette purifier after a decade of serial killers and postmodern tongue-in-cheek intertextuality, a naked bones 'found photos' development setter. during this Devil's suggest, Peter Turner tells the tale of the movie from his belief then offers a special research of the mockumentary film-making recommendations used, its attract audiences and the subjects that helped make the movie such a world hit (more than $140 million within the US alone), together with the pioneering online marketing crusade.
British rural landscapes on movie deals insights into how rural parts in Britain were represented on movie, from the silent period, via either global wars, and on into the twenty-first century. it's the first publication to solely care for representations of the British geographical region on movie. The members display that the geographical region has supplied Britain (and its constituent international locations and areas) with a dense variety of areas during which cultural identities were (and stay) labored via.
- Migrating to the Movies: Cinema and Black Urban Modernity
- Power of the Dark Side: Creating Great Villains, Dangerous Situations, & Dramatic Conflict: Creating Great Villains and Dangerous Situations
- A Companion to Spanish Cinema (Wiley Blackwell Companions to National Cinemas)
- Agatha Christie on Screen (Crime Files)
Extra resources for Big Screen Rome
Big Screen Rome by Monica Silveira Cyrino