By George A. Dunn
James Cameron’s significantly acclaimed motion picture Avatar used to be nominated for 9 Academy Awards and acquired numerous accolades for its breath-taking visuals and use of 3D expertise. yet past its cinematic splendour, can Avatar additionally provide us insights into company ethics, empathy, incapacity, and the connection among brain and physique? Can researching the Na’vi, an alien species, amplify our imaginative and prescient and aid us to “see” either our international and ourselves in new ways?
Avatar and Philosophy is a revealing trip throughout the global of Pandora and the massive diversity of philosophical subject matters raised by means of James Cameron’s groundbreaking film
- Explores philosophical matters similar to faith, morality, aesthetics, empathy, identification, the connection of brain and physique, environmental and company ethics, expertise, and simply conflict theory
- Examines quite a lot of themes from the blockbuster motion picture, together with attitudes towards nature, our tasks to nonhuman species, colonialism, incapacity, and communitarian ethics
- Written via an esteemed team of philosophers who're avid lovers of Avatar themselves
- Explains philosophical strategies in an stress-free and obtainable demeanour that would entice all degrees of readers
- With a brand new trilogy of sequels now introduced, this is often the suitable access element for realizing the realm of Pandora for fanatics and newbies alike
Read or Download Avatar and Philosophy: Learning to See (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series) PDF
Similar film & video art books
Within the overdue Nineteen Sixties, Harlan Ellison introduced a weekly column for the la unfastened Press, the place he uncompromisingly mentioned the results of tv on sleek society. He assaulted every little thing from tv sitcoms to deprave politicians, speak exhibits to army massacres. this day, greater than 4 a long time later, just about all of his feedback nonetheless holds actual.
From the mid-1930s to the past due Nineteen Fifties, Mexican cinema turned the main winning Latin American cinema and the prime Spanish-language movie on the earth. Many Cine de Oro (Golden Age cinema) movies adhered to the dominant Hollywood version, yet a small but bold filmmaking faction rejected Hollywood’s paradigm outright.
Few movies of any style have had the effect and effect of The Blair Witch undertaking (1999). Its arrival used to be a horror cinema palette cleaner after a decade of serial killers and postmodern tongue-in-cheek intertextuality, a naked bones 'found photos' development setter. during this Devil's recommend, Peter Turner tells the tale of the movie from his notion then offers a special research of the mockumentary film-making strategies used, its attract audiences and the topics that helped make the movie such a world hit (more than $140 million within the US alone), together with the pioneering online marketing crusade.
British rural landscapes on movie bargains insights into how rural components in Britain were represented on movie, from the silent period, via either international wars, and on into the twenty-first century. it's the first booklet to solely take care of representations of the British geographical region on movie. The participants reveal that the geographical region has supplied Britain (and its constituent international locations and areas) with a dense variety of areas during which cultural identities were (and remain) labored via.
- SHOWMANSHIP: THE CINEMA OF WILLIAM CASTLE
- Hollywood Gomorrah
- The Time of Our Lives: Dirty Dancing and Popular Culture (Contemporary Approaches to Film and Media Series)
- A Critical Cinema 5: Interviews with Independent Filmmakers
Extra info for Avatar and Philosophy: Learning to See (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series)
Avatar and Philosophy: Learning to See (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series) by George A. Dunn