By Harry M. Benshoff,Sean Griffin
- Provides a entire assessment of the economic, socio-cultural, and aesthetic elements that give a contribution to cinematic representations of race, type, gender, and sexuality
- Includes over a hundred illustrations, thesaurus of keywords, questions for dialogue, and lists for extra reading/viewing
- Includes new case experiences of a few movies, together with Crash, Brokeback Mountain, and Quinceañera
Read Online or Download America on Film: Representing Race, Class, Gender, and Sexuality at the Movies PDF
Similar film & video art books
Within the overdue Nineteen Sixties, Harlan Ellison introduced a weekly column for the la loose Press, the place he uncompromisingly mentioned the results of tv on smooth society. He assaulted every little thing from tv sitcoms to deprave politicians, speak indicates to army massacres. this day, greater than 4 a long time later, just about all of his feedback nonetheless holds real.
From the mid-1930s to the past due Nineteen Fifties, Mexican cinema turned the main winning Latin American cinema and the prime Spanish-language movie on this planet. Many Cine de Oro (Golden Age cinema) motion pictures adhered to the dominant Hollywood version, yet a small but bold filmmaking faction rejected Hollywood’s paradigm outright.
Few motion pictures of any style have had the impact and effect of The Blair Witch venture (1999). Its arrival used to be a horror cinema palette cleaner after a decade of serial killers and postmodern tongue-in-cheek intertextuality, a naked bones 'found pictures' pattern setter. during this Devil's suggest, Peter Turner tells the tale of the movie from his belief then presents a distinct research of the mockumentary film-making thoughts used, its entice audiences and the topics that helped make the movie such a world hit (more than $140 million within the US alone), together with the pioneering online marketing crusade.
British rural landscapes on movie bargains insights into how rural parts in Britain were represented on movie, from the silent period, via either international wars, and on into the twenty-first century. it's the first ebook to completely take care of representations of the British nation-state on movie. The participants exhibit that the geographical region has supplied Britain (and its constituent countries and areas) with a dense variety of areas within which cultural identities were (and stay) labored via.
- Red, White & Black: Cinema and the Structure of U.S. Antagonisms
- The Cinema of István Szábo: Visions of Europe (Directors' Cuts)
- Just When You Thought It Was Safe: A Jaws Companion
- The wounds of nations
- Selected Film Essays and Interviews (New Perspectives on World Cinema)
- Perils of Moviegoing in America: 1896-1950
Additional resources for America on Film: Representing Race, Class, Gender, and Sexuality at the Movies
America on Film: Representing Race, Class, Gender, and Sexuality at the Movies by Harry M. Benshoff,Sean Griffin